Commercial Energy Performance Certificates (EPC)

Commercial Energy Performance Certificate - EPC

This guide provides an introduction to the Regulations for Energy Performance Certificates for non-dwellings on construction, sale or let in England and Wales.

Why I need an EPC?

From October 2008 all buildings whenever sold, built or rented will need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The certificate provides energy efficiency A-G ratings and recommendations for improvement. The ratings – similar to those found on products such as fridges – are standard so the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of a similar type. Acting on an EPC is important to cut energy consumption, save money on bills and help to safeguard the environment.

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) is intended to inform potential buyers or tenants about the energy performance of a building, so they can consider energy efficiency as part of their investment or business decision to buy or occupy that building.

How do I get an EPC?

If you are a landlord or homeowner and need to provide an EPC, you’ll need to contact an accredited domestic energy assessor. They will carry out the assessment and produce the certificate.

Accreditation schemes make sure that domestic energy assessors (DEAs) have the right skills and are able to carry out the survey to agreed standards. These schemes ensure that DEAs:

    • adhere to standards, codes of conduct and procedures
    • are qualified to conduct an energy assessment, produce the certificate and give advice
    • have the correct insurance
    • are part of a register
    • have had a criminal records check
    • have a complaints procedure

How do I find an energy assessor?

We at Monument Info Search Ltd accredited domestic energy assessor to provide Energy Performance Certificates (EPC) to Midlands and whole UK. You can always give us a call and get more information. We give you the pricing, useful information and all the answers to your questions without a delay over the phone. Call us on 0844 800 0528. Or we will call you, simply use the contact us form on our website to leave us a message and we’ll be in touch with you soon.

The other way is to use the energy performance certificate register website to search for an accredited domestic energy assessor. This website is run by Landmark, on behalf of the government. You can also find accredited domestic energy assessors by searching online or by looking in the phone book.

How long is my EPC valid for?

EPCs are valid for ten (10) years.

What an EPC costs

The price of an EPC is set by the market and will depend on the size and location of your property.v Call us on 0844 800 0528 and we will give you all the details over the phone about our pricing you will notice how efficient and very low cost than other companies. If you want us to call you we will call you, simply use the contact us form on our website to leave us a message and we’ll be in touch with you soon.

What to do if I am not happy with my EPC?

If you are not happy, you should discuss your complaint with the domestic energy assessor who carried out your assessment. All domestic energy assessors must have a complaints process in place, so they should be able to provide you with a copy of their complaints procedure. If the complaint isn’t resolved, you can take it to their accreditation scheme.

When  will I be given an EPC?

By law you should receive an EPC in the following cases:

Buying a newly built property

Buyers of newly built properties should receive an EPC, free of charge.

Renting a property

If you are interested in renting a property, the landlord must make an EPC available to you free of charge. However, you don’t need an EPC when you are thinking of just renting a room with shared facilities rather than renting the whole property.

If you are not in one of the above categories

Even if you don’t fall into the above categories, you can still apply for and receive an EPC from an energy assessor. This may be because you want to know how energy efficient your home is, and make improvements suggested by the recommendation report. Read ‘Energy Performance Certificates – what they are’ to find out more about what an EPC contains.

What happens if I am not given an EPC?

If you are not given an EPC when you are entitled to it, you should contact the trading standards department of your local council. Trading standards officers have the power to issue a fixed penalty notice of £200 for domestic properties where an EPC is not provided.

If you are buying a newly built home and an EPC hasn’t been provided, you should contact the building control department of your local council.

Read More about

What about tenancy renewals, do I need an EPC?

What is a dwelling?

What must the landlord do before letting a dwelling?

What does an EPC do?

What is likely to be the impact of an EPC on the tenant?

How are EPCs enforced?

What about getting into the property to have an EPC prepared? 

What happens if a property is sub-let do I need an EPC?

What must the landlord do before letting a dwelling?

When must an EPC be provided?

How to hand over the EPC?

What about property particulars?

Who is responsible for an EPC?

What about emergencies?Who provides EPCs?

When is an EPC not needed?

For what types of property is an EPC required?




# #